Protein Student Modeling Pack Teacher Resources
Activities and Recommendations
1. Use the Amino Acid Side Chain Chart to identify each side chain.
2. Sort the side chains by their property color. Record your observations of each group.
3. Select 10 side chains (4 yellow hydrophobic, 2 white hydrophilic, 2 green cysteines, 1 red acidic and 1 blue basic), fold and insert into the plastic clips.
4. Evenly distribute these 10 side chains on the mini toober in any random sequence.
5. Fold the toober based on the chemical properties of the side chains. If a side chain falls out of its clip, continue to fold and re-insert the paper into the clip after you have successfully folded the toober.
6. Explore how the colorful substrates interact with the gray enzyme. Take a picture and label each interaction.
Amino Acid Digital Student Modeling Activity©
Side Chain Digital Student Modeling Activity©
Due to an increasing number of students finding answer keys online, we are no longer providing open access to these documents. Please CLICK HERE and fill out the form. We will email you a link to the answer key within 1 business day. Thank you for understanding!
How to use our interactive digital slides:
Download the PowerPoint or if you're using Google Slides, go to File, click Make a copy and save the Entire presentation.
Use the activity as it is or make it your own! You can:
Edit the instructions and questions and add more.
Rearrange the slides.
Use the blank slide at the end to add content. (Duplicate the slide if you need more than one.)
Assign the activity to your students through your school’s digital platform. Ask them to save and submit their finished work in slide format or as a PDF, using the naming conventions appropriate to your school or class.
Share what you have done with us. We love to see how teachers use our materials!