Protein Student Modeling Pack Teacher Resources
Activities and Recommendations
1. Use the Amino Acid Side Chain Chart to identify each side chain.
2. Sort the side chains by their property color. Record your observations of each group.
3. Select 10 side chains (4 yellow hydrophobic, 2 white hydrophilic, 2 green cysteines, 1 red acidic and 1 blue basic), fold and insert into the plastic clips.
4. Evenly distribute these 10 side chains on the mini toober in any random sequence.
5. Fold the toober based on the chemical properties of the side chains. If a side chain falls out of its clip, continue to fold and re-insert the paper into the clip after you have successfully folded the toober.
6. Explore how the colorful substrates interact with the gray enzyme. Take a picture and label each interaction.